As a 19-year cancer survivor (this month!) and certified health coach, I am often asked which foods are best for not only healing from cancer treatment, but for preventing a recurrence. This always brings me back to when I completed treatment and asked my oncologist that same question. He pretty much told me to go back to the way I was eating before–that diet didn’t really make a big impact on healing from cancer.
Somehow my intuition told me differently, and besides longing to have some sense of control over my body and my health, I definitely wanted to gain my energy back so that I could keep up with my two-year old son.
All these years later, I feel better than ever!
What foods do I make an integral part of my diet?
After researching which foods support the body in healing and preventing cancer, I came to understand that eating an anti-inflammatory diet is crucial, as cancer is an inflammatory disease.
Here are some helpful hints:
- Eat whole, fresh unprocessed foods (avoid packaged food)
- Eat a wide variety of colorful fruits and veggies (6-10 servings a day)
- Incorporate healthy fats, emphasizing omega-3 fats found in wild salmon, cod and sardines.
- More healthy fats-walnuts, almonds, avocados, olives, flax seeds, chia seeds
- Emphasize a plant-based diet
- If choose to eat meat look for grass-fed (more omega 3-s ) as opposed to grain fed
- Eat plenty of fiber from whole grains, fruits, vegetables and beans
With love and good health,
P.S. Ready to feel more confident in your body again? Schedule your Confidently Cancer-Free Breakthrough Session today!
P.P.S. Check out the video to see something exciting I have planned!